The E-Signature Law; issued in 2004 and established the Information Technology Industry Development Agency (ITIDA), supports Egypt’s e-commerce industry by securing the Internet as a legally viable medium for online financial activities. Simply put, this means that a buyer does not need to physically sign a document when entering into a transaction online.
On 11th July 2006, ITIDA issued 4 Licenses to practice the activity of e-signature services for the following companies (ACT-MCDR-Egypt Trust-SNS). Also, on 28th September 2009, ITIDA issued the license for the Gov CA to offer the e-signature services for the public sectors only.
The E-Signature CA Licensing Department is set up to audit the E-Signature service providers companies in Egypt, address complaints, offer technical counseling in collaboration with the Root CA panel, and mediate between disputing parties, forming part of the ICT Industry ombudsman within ITIDA framework
The E-Signature CA Licensing Department licenses a limited number of E-Signature Service Providers (ESPs) in Egypt, in order to provide e-signature services, issue digital certificates and corresponding electronic signatures, for citizens and private sector companies’ clients. The CA Licensing Department’s main functions include managing the application process of CSPs, and implementing processes for licensing and auditing the providers.
E-Signature Licensing Activities:
- Regulating the activity of e-signature services.
- Issuing and renewal of licenses in the activities of an e- signature, and other activities in the field of electronic transactions, and the information technology industry.
- Define technical standards and technical resources to provide an electronic signature.
- Maximizing the use of e-business applications.
- Spreading the culture of e-signature technology locally and regionally.
- Receiving complaints concerning the activities of the electronic signature and electronic transactions and information technology, and take necessary in that.
- Provide technical advice on disputes that arise between the parties concerning the activities of the electronic signature and electronic transactions and information technology.
- Exhibitions, conferences and specialized seminars in the field of information technology and communications both internally and externally.
List of licensed companies with contact information:
- E-Signature law N. 15 /2004 (Arabic -
- E-Signature executive directive (Arabic -
As one of its primary roles, ITIDA operates the Egyptian Root Certificate Authority (Root CA) according to the highest security standards offering a continuous 24/7 operation (based on the means of a second hot-standby Trust Center).
The national Root CA is the trust anchor for all relying parties within that domain. Furthermore, the national Root CA is the legal and national base upon which all IT applications, E-commerce and E-business Transactions will be affected. It also provides cross recognition across Egypt and to other Root CAs in different nations.
The national Root CA key functions:
- Issues digital certificates for licensed certificate service providers and publish them to be available 24/7.
- Helps to prove or deny the validity of digital certificates of the licensed Certificate authorities.
- Root CA has the rights to stop the operation of any CA in case of security deficiencies.
- Managing the CRL containing revoked CSPs certificates.
- Working as TSA (Time Stamping Authority) for CSPs.
- Backing up E-Signature creation data of Certificate Service Provider to maintain the availability of the service in case of Failure or Bankruptcy of one of the CSP’s.
- Responsible for interoperability between other countries providing a point of communication between Egypt and other nations in relations of E-signature.
- Auditing all the PKI technical requirements of CSP’s against the Egyptian executive directives and all the updated international standards.
- Offers technical consultations to all the community in the field of Information Security especially in Public key Infrastructure.